[free-software-melb] FSM July Show and Tell

lists at ebourne.me.uk lists at ebourne.me.uk
Fri Jul 31 19:55:33 AEST 2020

Hi all,

As a long time lurker from SA I obviously don't get to the meetings.
Hope you guys are all well across the border and taking care.

I thought I'd add a recommendation for a backup solution since one was
mentioned below. I note that the luckybackup website warns that
development is essentially frozen on it, which not so ideal for
something as critical.

I recommend you at least take a look at Duplicati (not to be confused
with the more widely known Duplicity) <https://www.duplicati.com/>.
Being Free software designed for linux with a web based interface and
actively developed I've yet to find anything better. I've tried a large
number of linux backup solutions over the years, and even been an
active contributor to one in the past. Duplicati is best of class so
far as I have found, it supports local backups but excels at fully
encrypted incremental cloud backups with a range of hosting providers.
I've been using Duplicati for probably 3-4 years and found it reliable
and effective and have used it to recover files too. I've used both the
S3 and Backblaze backends, the latter being very cost effective.

Regards,
Martin