[free-software-melb] FSM July Show and Tell

PuZZleDucK puzzleduck at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 18:30:09 AEST 2020

Hey folks,

Great turnout to our first virtual "Free Software Show and Tell" evening
this month. Thanks to everyone who stepped up and showed off a cool Free
Software or Open Source project they liked.

I've put together a list of links for the projects we discussed on the
night so we can all check out the projects and maybe give them try:

Big Blue Button - free software web conferencing system for GNU/Linux
servers
 - https://bigbluebutton.org/

Session - Session is an end-to-end encrypted messenger that removes
sensitive metadata collection
 - https://getsession.org/

PDFArranger - merge or split pdf documents
 - https://github.com/jeromerobert/pdfarranger

Wireguard - simple and fast modern VPN
 - https://www.wireguard.com/

DBeaver - multi-platform database tool
 - https://github.com/dbeaver/dbeaver

Xournal++ - notetaking, sketching, keeping a journal using a stylus
 - https://github.com/xournalpp/xournalpp

youtube-dl - accessing video from iView and SBS OnDemand without DRM
 - https://github.com/ytdl-org/youtube-dl/

rsync - fast incremental file transfer
 - https://rsync.samba.org/

lucky backup - powerful, fast and reliable backup and sync tool
 - http://luckybackup.sourceforge.net/

flameshot - Powerful yet simple to use screenshot software
 - https://flameshot.js.org/#/

aseprite - create animated sprites
 - https://github.com/aseprite/aseprite

sfxr - Quick 'n' easy game sound effects generator
 - http://sfxr.me/

simplescreenrecorder - record programs and games
 - https://www.maartenbaert.be/simplescreenrecorder/

pdfpc - presenter console with multi-monitor support for PDF files
 - https://pdfpc.github.io/

restic - a program that does backups right
 - https://restic.net/

Syncthing - continuous file synchronization program
 - https://syncthing.net/

Workrave - assists in the recovery and prevention of Repetitive Strain
Injury
 - https://workrave.org/

prism-break - encrypting your communications and ending your reliance on
proprietary services
 - https://prism-break.org/

privacytools.io - provides services, tools and knowledge to protect your
privacy against global mass surveillance
 - https://www.privacytools.io/

MrRescue - arcade styled 2d action game
 - https://tangramgames.dk/games/mrrescue/

Alternatives to: MS Project?
- WeKan
- Gnome Planner
- Emacs Org-mode

Alternatives to Photsohop?
- Gimp
- Krita
- Inkscape

Alternatives to MS Office for linux?
- Libre Office

I was a bit distracted by the new format and wasn't taking my usual notes
during this one, so I apologise if I missed anyone's favorite pick.

There was certainly a lot of interest in backups and backup systems. It's
not something I've got much experience in, but if someone is interested in
presenting a more in depth review and/or tutorial we'd love to hear from
you.

Thanks everyone for coming along and making FSM online work and we'll catch
you next month at Free Software Melbourne.
~~ Ben