[free-software-melb] Our Favorite Free Software of 2019

PuZZleDucK puzzleduck at gmail.com
Sun Aug 18 20:50:51 AEST 2019

Hey Folks,

Thanks for braving the cold and coming out to Free Software Melbourne this
month, and thanks also to everyone who shared their best Free and Open
Source Software recommendations with us. I wanted to share the
recommendations that came up with the group as a whole:

I think the hands down winner for eliciting amazed gasps was the
spectacular Stellarium planetarium for your computer with its amazing
visuals: https://stellarium.org/

We took a look at the Oh My Zsh extensions for making your command line
look flashy: https://github.com/robbyrussell/oh-my-zsh/wiki/Themes

One of our members updated us on the Librem 5 project as they eagerly
anticipate the upcoming release: https://puri.sm/products/librem-5/

Someone also suggested RamBox for managing multiple communications sources:
https://github.com/ramboxapp/community-edition

We talked about the release of some RISC-V hardware into the market:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RISC-V

And we also discussed the benefets of testing hardware with pure Free
Software distributions such as Trisquel: https://trisquel.info/

Also a quick note that Software Freedom Day is coming up on the 21st of
September, so mark your calendars now.

~~ Ben