[free-software-melb] FSM Jun 15th - AMD, Installfests and the Gnews on privacy

Ben M PuZZleDucK+softwarefreedom at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 20:16:03 UTC 2017

Hey Freedom Fans,

This month at Free Software Melbourne we're going to be talking AMD,
Installfests and the rising importance of privacy and security in modern
life.

We'll kick things off at 6:30pm by having a read through the final draft of
the AMD submission (and quickly fixing any typos we find) before preparing
to send it to AMD and publish it on our website.

We're also going to discuss what we might need to do to run an installfest
as part of a FSM event later in the year. We'll take a look at the
documentation available and consider a few case studies of installfests.
We'll discuss what kind of approach we might take and what the important
factors to consider are. If time allows we might also run through the
process in some virtual manner. We're also super lucky to have Linux Users
Victoria run a Debian 9 launch party on Saturday the 17th (just two days
later) that will probably involve an installfest so if you've ever wanted
to run or participate in an installfest then this is your month.

We'll then have our regular Gnews segment hosted by Tatiana this month.
I've been warned that we'll be focusing heavily on the current security and
privacy issues that have been becoming ever more prevalent in these
troubled times. What role can Free and Open Software play in this emerging
landscape and how is this being reported in the wild? What can we do to
make progress and better communicate the message of FOSS? So if you were
hoping for more of Ben rattling off release dates then I'm afraid you're
going to be disappointed.

As usual we plan to finish up about 8:30pm and head down to Errol st for
continued conversation and tasty cuisine.

See you all there!

Thursday 15th June, 6:30-8:30pm
Electron Workshop - 31 Arden St, North Melbourne, Victoria, 3051
Map: http://osm.org/go/uG4HWyqEz?m=&node=2556615434
Travel tips by Electron Workshop: http://www.electronworkshop.com.au/map/
Running late or can't find us? Call 0419 390 496