[free-software-melb] 2016 - FOSS Show and Tell wrapup

Ben M PuZZleDucK+softwarefreedom at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 11:01:15 UTC 2016

Hello Freedom Lovers,

Earlier this month we had our "Free Software Show and Tell" session at FSM.
As usual there was a bunch of really great software on show and just I
wanted to put together a post wrapping up some of the highlights for "Best
FOSS Software of 2016"

First off the blocks we had L.D.A.P. <http://www.openldap.org/> or the
Lightweight Directory Access Protocol which had helped a business integrate
new (or was it old) hardware into an existing infrastructure with a mixture
of Windows and Linux software

I mentioned that HtTrack <https://www.httrack.com/> was my best hope for
empowering government with a tool for web scraping on account of it having
an Android client and the departmental restrictions on software is less
strict for the time being

Ben S. talked about Riot <https://riot.im/> which is a team based
communications platform built on Matrix <https://matrix.org/>. Apart from
all the usual benefits of a team communications platform, Riot has the
added benefit of allowing connections to an old school IRC chat but with
all the added benefits of persistence we have come to expect with IRC
bouncers <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BNC_%28software%29> and modern web
apps

Ben S. also mentioned an often missed benefit of OwnCloud/NextCloud
<https://nextcloud.com/> which is the ability to use it as a data store for
large email attachments. Just install the ThunderBird add-on
<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/owncloud-for-filelink/>
and the next time you try to email a large file Thunderbird/NextCloud will
offer you the opportunity to upload the file to NextDrive and include a
link in the message

Michael showed us a website he's been passionately working on over the past
weeks: Boycot Amazon <https://boycottamazonaustralia.com/>, take a look if
you want to support local businesses and tell this conglomorate "Not
here!". You could even support local growers
<http://www.ceresfairfood.org.au/> by buying local too

Damien <https://github.com/zamaudio?tab=repositories> demoed a new tool
he's been working on to create a very specific kind of binary image. He's
been developing and utilising this tool to create binary images based on
templates specifying which bits should be set. The software is still in
development but Damien is planning on releasing it once it's up to snuff
and will be of use to others

Paul also noted that SQLAlchemy <http://www.sqlalchemy.org/> had been of
great use to himself and someone mentioned a friendly tutorial
<http://pythoncentral.io/introductory-tutorial-python-sqlalchemy/> that was
available. I'll have to take the readme at it's word when it says that it's
"suite of well known persistence patterns, designed for efficient and
high-performing database access, adapted into a simple and Pythonic domain
language". Which I think is the long way of saying "It makes databases
behave like Python" and in Pauls case this translates to shareable and
reproducible results in scientific research

You can also check out the Gnews presentation
<http://freesoftware.org.au/static/media/uploads/gnews/gnews-2016-11-17.html>
to look closer at any of the issues we discussed at the meetup or SIGN the
PETITIONS!

Hope I haven't missed anyone out almost as much as I hope to see you all in
a couple of weeks for our December Holiday Dinner