[free-software-melb] Viewing YouTube videos with free software

Ben Finney ben+freesoftware at benfinney.id.au
Tue Feb 9 03:48:30 UTC 2016

Brian May <brian at microcomaustralia.com.au>
writes:

> Tim Hamilton <hamilton.tim at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Another option for viewing YouTube with Free Software is Minitube which
> > provides a GUI frontend for YouTube without the need for a browser.
>
> I think I come into this discussion late. What is the problem with
> watching YouTube with a open source browser such as FireFox?

The website won't operate properly without non-free code running in the
browser. If you don't trust YouTube to run programs on your computer,
that's a bad option.

Using VLC to view the video from its URL, or downloading the video with
‘youtube-dl’, avoid executing any of the non-free code.

--
 \     “Oh, I realize it's a penny here and a penny there, but look at |
  `\      me: I've worked myself up from nothing to a state of extreme |