[free-software-melb] drm free ebooks

Brian May brian at microcomaustralia.com.au
Fri Apr 20 01:24:20 UTC 2012

Straight from my unsorted notes and google searches, hope I get the
correct. Like I said it is sometimes hard to get information on DRM at
some web sites. No idea if these are any good, I haven't tried them.

Unrelated note: I suspect that epub format is better able to represent
technical documents, such as bullet points, tables, pictures, etc,
then AZW (Kindle's version of Mobipocket with DRM). Or it could just
be that Amazon does a really lousy job at translating these documents
into Mobipocket format. As in the formatting can be completely stuffed
up, images too small and low resolution, etc. The quality of the
technical epub books I have seen from Google books - epub with drm -
seems to be better then what I have seen from Amazon market, plus (at
least with Google), you have access to the original scanned document
page. Amazon do have a new file format, KF8, based on HTML5 and CSS3,
that maybe might resolve these issues.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_e-book_formats

$0 cost or Public domain:

http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/
http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page
http://www.freekindlebooks.org/
http://www.fictionwise.com/
http://gutenberg.net.au/
http://www.baen.com/library/

> $0 cost

http://www.baenebooks.com/
http://oreilly.com/
http://www.smashwords.com/about
http://www.ebooksjustpublished.com/ (seems to be a blog for above site)
http://drmfree.calibre-ebook.com/
http://p2p.wrox.com/content/blogs/jminatel/all-wroxcom-wrox-e-books-drm-free-3-formats-pdf-mobi-epub
http://blog.text2go.com/2008/01/04/the-top-13-drm-free-ebook-sites/
google search "drm free ebook"

Harry potter

Meant to be DRM free, except for Amazon.

http://shop.pottermore.com/en_GB/books/HP1

google search "harry potter ebook"
http://momentumbooks.com.au/blog/harry-potter-and-the-digital-rights-management/
http://gigaom.com/2012/03/27/what-book-publishers-should-learn-from-harry-potter/
http://copyrightandtechnology.com/2012/03/28/will-harry-potter-break-the-e-book-drm-spell/
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/2012/03/27/harry-potter-ebooks-are-not-drm-free-in-kindle-format/
etc

There is at least one blog poster who concluded because Harry Potter
has DRM from Amazon, it must have DRM everywhere. Not convinced this
is the case. There might be issues trying to translate from ePub to
Mobipocket format, however I didn't read those comments in detail.

Apparently Harry Potter ebooks are somehow water marked, is this a
problem for us?
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173976

anti-DRM propaganda:

http://boingboing.net/2010/01/11/david-pogue-tries-dr.html

Last time I search I saw an author that was selling DRM-free ebooks
under a name-your-price system. Can't find it right now unfortunately.
--
Brian May <brian at microcomaustralia.com.au>