[free-software-melb-announce] FSM Jan 13th - LCA preview: Planning Alerts, State Contracts then The World

Ben M PuZZleDucK+fsm at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 04:32:39 UTC 2017

For the second year in a row we're going to break with tradition and hold a
meetup in January because one of the organizers of FSM is giving a talk at
Linux Conf Au (or are we actually starting a new tradition?)

Unfortunately LCA is a little earlier this year and so we won't be able to
meetup at our regular time and place but I hope you can all make it anyhow.
It will also be a shorter meetup than usual with no Gnews prepared, but
we'll still grab a bite to eat nearby after the talk ... anyhow, on with
the official blurb:
How does a council scraping initiative started in the UK evolve to
influence and inform how the Victorian Government manages its information?
Planning Alerts was originally a UK service to allow people to subscribe to
be notified when there was a planning application near them regardless of
council boundaries. It's success has also been replicated (and improved) in
Australia. It seems obvious to many of us that a significant factor is that
the initial project and those that followed it were Open Source and open to
the Communities they served. How can we better demonstrate to government
the value of Open Standards and Open Data than by making it happen?

Details:
Friday, January 13, 2017 - 7:00 PM
At TeamSquare - level 1 / 520 Bourke St, Melbourne

*On the first floor, call 0419 390 496 <0419%20390%20496> if the doors are
lockedhttps://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=1%2F520+Bourke+St%2C+Melbourne%2C+au
<https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=1%2F520+Bourke+St%2C+Melbourne%2C+au>*