[free-software-melb-announce] Ben Sturmfels on Preventing Cat-astrophes with GNU MediaGoblin, Thu 21 Jan, 6:30pm NEW VENUE

Ben Sturmfels ben at stumbles.id.au
Tue Jan 12 04:05:04 UTC 2016

Happy GNU year!

We thought we'd break with tradition this year and hold a meet-up in
January. Despite being holiday time for many, there's a lot going on in
the world of free software, so we have plenty of interesting things to
talk about.

This month I'll be presenting "Preventing Cat-astrophes with GNU
MediaGoblin"; a talk about how MediaGoblin can give us some of the
features of centralised media silos like YouTube, while avoiding the
risk of the worlds' culture living or dying with one company. Ben
Minerds will be presenting the Gnews.

The other big news is that following the closure of the VPAC office in
Victoria Street, we're moving our meet-ups to a new home at Electron
Workshop in North Melbourne (map below). We're very grateful to VPAC for
their support of the last few years.

As usual, we'll follow on with dinner nearby (venue to be decided). Look
forward to seeing you!

Regards,
Ben

Event details
Thursday 21 January, 6:30-8:30pm (doors open 6pm)
31 Arden St, North Melbourne, Victoria, 3051
Map: http://osm.org/go/uG4HWyqEz?m=&node=2556615434
Travel tips by Electron Workshop: http://www.electronworkshop.com.au/map/
Running late or can't find us? Call Ben on 0458 925 588.