[free-software-melb-announce] Dr Katherine Phelps on activism and free software in creative media, Thu 15 Oct

Ben Sturmfels ben at stumbles.id.au
Sun Oct 11 12:00:19 UTC 2015

Hi Free Software Lovers,

If the inspiring phone conversation I had last week with Katherine is
anything to go by, this Thursday's meet-up should be one not to miss.

Following a hugely successful Contributing to Free Software workshop in
August and Software Freedom Day in September, this month we're back to
our regular evening meet-up.

Katherine will be telling us a little about how she uses free software
programs in her comedy and theatre shows as well as her other writing
and events. We'll hopefully also hear about her experience as social
activist and gain some insights to be more effective activists
ourselves.

As always, we invite attendees to also join us for dinner at Classic
Curry on Victoria Street after the organised part of the evening.

Regards,
Ben

Event details
-------------
Thursday 15 October, 6-8pm (followed by dinner at nearby restaurant)
VPAC Head Office Training Room
Level 1, Building 91, 110 Victoria Street
Map: http://osm.org/go/uG4HZ6JiV?m
Running late or locked out? Call Scott on 0438 125 225.

Dr Katherine Phelps is the author of Surf's Up: Internet Australian
Style published by Reed Books and distributed by Random House. She
taught storytelling for computer game design for seven years at both
RMIT and Victoria University. She is a lifetime member of Electronic
Frontiers Australia and has been using Linux since 1994.

For the last five years Phelps has been producing comedy shows for both
Melbourne Comedy Festival and Melbourne Fringe relying heavily on free
software and share community resources. For the last three years she has
been running events for UN International Day of Peace. Currently, she is
founding a scholar owned cooperative university, where students,
lecturers, and researchers share ownership of their institution.