[free-software-melb-announce] Free software discussion group this Thursday 15 August

Adam Bolte abolte at systemsaviour.com
Mon Aug 12 04:00:23 EST 2013

Hi everyone,

The time of our next monthly meet-up is approaching. Take a look at what
we've got lined up:

* Ben McGinnes of Pirate Party Australia

Ben will be discussing the Pirate Party's take on copyright, patents and
privacy. This had to be postponed by a month due to a last minute
emergency, but it will be on this Thursday to be sure!

* Intro to GnuPG, followed by keysigning

The revelations of the PRISM program have made everyone rethink what
they are exposing online, and GnuPG is perhaps one of the best tools to
help protect yourself. We will walk you though the basics of how it
works, and how to get started.

Additionally, we will be holding Free Software Melbourne's first ever
official keysigning event, helping you put that GPG knowledge to
immediate use!

If this interests you, don't forget to bring along sufficient proof of
ID. Ideally 2 forms of government issued photo ID should be used.

If you are already a GnuPG user and are interested in participating in
the keysigning, it would be helpful if you could print out up to 20
small strips of paper with the output of the following command on each:

gpg --fingerprint KeyID

Also note on the strip if you want your signed key returned to you or
published directly to a public keyserver.

More details on all of this is here: http://keysigning.org/methods/adhoc

* Followed by dinner at a nearby restaurant

We haven't decided on a place for dinner yet, but we're always open to
suggestions.

Don't forget to mark the event on your calendar -